6.19.2013

Father's Day PCCC

So here I am, writing to my lovely readers from good ol' Minne.  During the first weekend of the CWS.

Wait, what?!

Yeah that's right.  There must be something wrong with me.  Or I must really love my dad.  Probably the latter...


Doesn't he have the greatest daughter on Earth!?

Just kidding.

Wait, wait, wait...REWIND.

As you can see, I started writing this post pre-Father's Day weekend but as life would have it, I never got around to actually finishing it.  Oops.  So let's get back on track...

Please note Robbie flexing in the upper right picture; for Father's Day, we bought my parents new patio furniture!

Robbie and I spent Father's Day weekend in Minnesota.  We originally had plans to hit up the opening weekend CWS games but with a little thought, we felt we would have the most fun enjoying the games in the air conditioning with our pups and my pops, Dale.  We're all sports fanatics and since it's been some time since we've seen my family, a trip up North sounded just right.  And fortunately we have the rest of this week and upcoming weekend to catch our fair share of games.

But to further prove my point that I'm the best daughter ever, guess what I did?!

Well, I catered to my dad's good ol' classic tastes and whipped up a tasty batch of his favorite all time treat: PCCC.


Okay, I know I've mentioned what PCCC's are before but for the sake of you all, we can refresh: Plain [ol'] Chocolate Chip Cookies.

As you might notice looking through my recipes, 'classics' aren't usually first on my list.  Yes, I've definitely participated in them, but I tend to bake recipes with a little twist.  But like I mentioned, my dad goes for everything classic [I think it's a guy thing...] so he always gives me a hard time for using 'chocolate imported from France' or 'specially ground almond flour.'  Okay, I don't honestly use either of those but Dale has always been a jokester.  He keeps it lighthearted, gotta love it!

So for dad's special day, I opted to go with his wishes and surprise him with a batch of simple, straightforward PCCCs.  With a little twist...

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!!


But it's actually a very subtle change, and we all agreed that if I wouldn't have mentioned anything no one would have really noticed.  Both Robbie and my dad actually asked if I had used different chocolate chips [remember, imported chocolate?]!  But the consensus was that the cookie was just dang good, plain and simple just like Dale likes them.

But to clue you in, the only change to a standard PCCC recipe is that this cookie uses bread flour [introduced by the food science man himself, Alton Brown].  See, not too crazy!  The result is that the cookie ends up a bit chewier and soft, which I absolutely love.  So if you're into the crunchy cookie, then this ain't for you.

But you'll probably regret not testing it out.  Just sayin.'

Anywho, hope everyone had a lovely Father's Day and were able to celebrate those special men in our lives.  I know we had a wonderful weekend, love you, dad!  .

My Notes:
  • To scoop my dough, I used a 1-inch cookie scoop.  But the original recipe suggested about 1.5 tablespoon (or just go with a scant tablespoon) if you don't have a cookie scoop on hand.


Ingredients:
1 c. unsalted butter
2-1/4 c. bread flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. sugar
1-1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp. milk
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat.  Pour into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda; set aside.
  3. In the large bowl with butter, add sugar and brown sugar.  Cream on medium speed until thoroughly combined.  Add egg, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla extract, and mix until well combined.  Slowly pour in flour mixture with mixer on low just until combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.
  4. Chill dough until firm but pliable.  Heat oven to 350°F.  Scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.  Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown, turning baking sheet at about 5 minutes to ensure even baking.  Remove from oven onto wire rack to let cool.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies


post signature

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the cookie/face photo!!!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about making traditional recipes. I always want to throw something else in there. These do look good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it okay to use regular all purpose flour instead of bread flour if you don't have any?

    Thank!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: