10.11.2011

Tried & True Tuesday: Cinnamon Bun Scones

. Oh Fall, how I love thee!  Okay, just kidding.  But I really do love the Fall, as if you couldn't already tell from my last several posts.  Football season, crisp air, spices, sweatshirts, pumpkins, hats, turning leaves, holidays.  Cheesey, yes, but what's not to love about all of that?!

So to continue my ode to the Fall season, I would like to introduce you to Cinnamon Bun Scones.  This recipe comes from, you got it, Marcy Goldman's A Passion for Baking.  Gasp!  Not shocking, I know.  How many times can you rave about one baker?!  I'm trying to make it a record.  But this recipe is every bit as wonderful as it sounds, the true flavors of a cinnamon roll without all of the fuss!  The soft, tender crumb scone wafts scents of vanilla and is finished with a cinnamon glaze that is to. die. for.  Not literally, but it'll make you smack your lips.  Several times over.  And over.

These babies are also super simple and a great grab 'n' go breakfast for you crazies on the run.  And the kiddies, too.  Let Fall continue! .

My Notes:
  • When I first made these, I noted that the scone batter spreads out quite a bit while baking, so make sure to space the scones fairly well.  I ended up only putting about 6 balls of dough onto each baking sheet.
From A Passion for Baking

Ingredients:
Scones:
3 c. all purpose flour
1 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. unsalted butter, cut into chunks
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 to 1 c. heavy whipping cream

Cinnamon Dip:
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 to 3 c. powdered sugar

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 425°F.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.  Arrange oven rack to upper third position.
  2. In food processor, add flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder and blend briefly.  Add butter and pulse to make coarse, grainy mixture.
  3. Turn out mixture to large bowl.  Make well in center and stir in vanilla extract, eggs and heavy whipping cream to make soft dough (if stiff, add additional heavy whipping cream).
  4. Drop 2 tablespoons of batter onto baking sheet, placing at least 2 inches apart.  Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until scones are puffy and golden brown.  
  5. Meanwhile, for cinnamon dip, whisk together butter, cinnamon and powdered sugar until thick but drippy (add additional powdered sugar or heavy whipping cream if needed).  Let scones cool to warm and then dip in cinnamon mixture.  Let glaze set and then dip scones a second time.  Place on wire rack to let set completely.
Yield: 18 scones

9 comments:

  1. These look delicious! I linked over from the blog hop at Crystal and Co. I'm so glad that I did. I can't wait to try these. I'm following your blog now, and looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing!

    Jaymie @ http://dancesdishesanddreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, these sound absolutely delicious!! And perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (found ya on a link party)
    wow looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great! I wanted to let you know that I have given you "The Versatile Blogger" award on my blog at http://eatwhatyouvegot.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jaymie So glad you stopped by, thanks for the add!!

    @Deborah They are so, so good and cinnamon is just so reminiscent of Fall to me!

    @Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com Thanks so much for stopping by!

    @corabeth Thanks so much for stopping by, heading on over to your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! These look delicious. I may actually be able to pull these off because they don't need yeast. The icing looks amazing! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm...scones with frosting and cinnamon! Delish. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing!
    I can't wait to try these. I'm following your blog now, and looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: