But for one reason or another [apparently I felt ambitious] I decided to participate in all three clubs this month: SRC, TWD, and featuring in today's post, ICC. And they all happened to be due the same week. Go figure.
Most of you have probably forgotten I'm a part of ICC [or maybe you even forgot what ICC is] because it's literally been months since I last participated. And to be honest, this is probably my most favorite club because it forces you to get those creative juices flowin'. And who wouldn't have fun with that?!
Anywho, this month's ingredients were a bit tricky...
Zucchini and Brown Sugar
I wouldn't say I came up with anything ground breaking, but I guess this recipe is a bit different! I actually had a hard time finding any recipes that used both zucchinis and brown sugar, but thanks to my tried and true Taste of Home Cookbook, I bring you Streuseled Zucchini Bundt Cake. Nom, nom, nom.
The cake itself is rather simple, a plain vanilla cake made uber moist due to the addition of the zucchini. But the fun and flavor comes from the cinnamon-raisin streusel ribboned throughout the bundt. A simple glaze drizzled across the top serves as 'the cherry on the top.' And together, these elements make a wonderful, comforting breakfast treat paired perfectly with a piping hot cup of coffee. Can the weekend be here, already?
Gosh, I love ICC. Can't wait to see what next month brings! .
- I omitted the walnuts from the original recipe but after tasting, they definitely are needed. The cake was still great but it could have definitely used that crunch. If you don't have to, I wouldn't leave them out.
Adapted from Taste of Home Cookbook
2 c. (about 1-1/2 medium zucchinis) shredded zucchini
1-1/3 c. vanilla-flavored yogurt
3/4 c. sugar
2 egg whites
1/3 c. canola oil
3 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. dry bread crumbs
1/3 c. packed light brown sugar
1/3 c. chopped walnuts
1/3 c. raisins
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 to 3 tsp. milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, beat zucchini, yogurt, sugar, egg whites, egg, oil, and vanilla extract until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; gradually beat into zucchini mixture until blended.
- For streusel, combine brown sugar, walnuts, raisins, cinnamon, and allspice; set aside.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs into a greased 10-inch bundt pan. Add a third of the zucchini batter to the pan. Sprinkle half of the streusel mixture over the batter. Top with another third of the batter and sprinkle with remaining streusel mixture. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake.
Yield: 14 servings