9.15.2011

Double-Apple Mini Bundt Cakes


. This last weekend was complete craziness.  And when I stop to think about the next month [literally], the craziness will not be dying down.  But who's to complain about actually having things to do?!

So here's the run down: end of an audit at work [always hectic] and the beginning of another, throw in a wedding shower, bachelorette party, Robbie traveling for work, football [I know, sad I have that scheduled], and two weddings.  Whew!  Maybe that's nothing for you, but I'll tell you that for Robbie and I, that's a JAM. PACKED. SCHEDY.  Seriously, we've never had this many things to do in a row...and it feels like I may be leaving something out?  (Couple minutes pause while I think...) Oh yeah, practicing wedding cupcakes!

But I'll say that there's not one thing on that list that I'm not looking forward to.  Well, maybe one.


Anywho, I spent this last weekend shopping for an insane amount of gifts, cleaning the house, laundry, and working.  And yes, I made time for a little baking sesh Saturday night.  And thank the good Lord I did, otherwise these uber cutesy cakes wouldn't have made the table.  Aren't they A. Dorable?!

I was going for something incredibly Fall-feeling.  I stopped at the Farmer's Market early Saturday morning before heading to Starbucks to work for a bit, and spotted quite a number of apples.  They were a little small and had a couple worm holes, so I figured I'd give the vendors a couple more weeks to ripen that apple crop.  But I couldn't get the apples out of my head.  Once an idea is in this brain of mine, there's no talking me out of it.  Fact of life.

But back to these mini bundt cakes.  The flavors of Fall are oh-so-abundant in these little lovelies.  Cinnamony, nutmeggy, and gingery.  Chock full of apple bits, raisins, and pecans.  And topped with a simple citrusy icing that truly sets this cake apart.  The texture reminds me much of a banana bread loaf yet extremely moist and soft from the applesauce.  Nom, nom, nom!  I.  ❤.  Fall.  I think I need a t-shirt with that on it .



My Notes:
  • I found this recipe in my new book, Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.  Yes, THE Dorie.  Bloggers, you know who I'm talking about!  I barely adapted the recipe [except for below, but that was a matter of circumstance] because I've heard how wonderful Dorie's recipes are.  You don't mess with the best, especially the first time around.  And she did not disappoint.  But I also started thinking that mashed bananas would be to die for in this recipe as well.  Hmm...
  • I couldn't find any apple butter at the grocery store [I'm still kicking myself for not buying some at the Farmers Market], so I substituted the apple butter with applesauce.  I was on the verge of throwing the whole batter away during the first batch because I thought I botched it, but the cakes turned out perfect.  So feel free to use either ingredient!
  • The original recipe does call for a 9- to 10-inch bundt pan, however, I wanted to use my brand new William's Sonoma mini bundt cake pan.  So I did!  But if you use a regular-sized pan, bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes at 350°F.

From Baking: From My Home to Yours

Ingredients:
Cake:
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
10 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1-1/2 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 c. apple butter or applesauce (spiced or plain)
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and grated
1 c. pecans or walnuts, chopped
1/2 c. raisins (dark or golden)

Icing:
1/3 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. orange or lemon juice

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350°F.  Butter pan using a pastry brush.  If pan is nonstick, also dust interior with flour.


2.  Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt.  Set aside.


3.  In mixing bowl, beat butter ad sugar on medium speed until mixture is smooth, thick and pale (about 3 minutes).


4.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating for about 1 minute after each addition (batter will be light and fluffy).


5.  Reduce mixer to low and beat in apple butter or applesauce (batter will most likely curdle).


6.  Add in grated apples and mix to completely blend.


7.  Add in dry ingredients, mixing only until they disappear into the batter.  Using a spatula, fold in  nuts and raisins.


8.  Spoon batter into mini bundt pan, filling each cup about 3/4 full.  Smooth tops of the batter with a spatula.


9.  Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Transfer to rack to cool for 5 minutes before unmolding.  


10.  While cakes are cooling, for glaze, whisk together sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl.  Continue adding lemon juice until icing falls easily from the tip of a spoon.  Drizzle icing over tops of the cakes.  Let cakes stand until icing dries (about 1 minute).



Yield: 1 dozen mini bundt cakes

14 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous Jess!! Nicely done...have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess! These mini bundt cakes sound awesome!
    Please join our link up for *Project LunchBox* You have awesome recipes that can inspire others to make healthy meals at home http://su.pr/221xT1

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good and sound fantastic. I love that they are mini. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mini bundt pan. I don't have one. The recipe looks amazing. I have all of the ingredients so will try to make this soon. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mini bundts are so cute! And yes, Dorie knows what's she's doing. That's a fantastic cookbook--so thorough and a joy to browse and read. I found you on Mingle Monday. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks divine - yummy! I am on an apple cooking binge, so I am surely giving this one a try. I would love it if you linked up on my blog party, Makin You Crave Monday, over at MrsHappyHomemaker.com!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm DROOLING!!! Looks so good! I know what I will be making this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good and moist and appley! Now I'm wanting a pan like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! These little bundts look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM! I LOVE your recipe ! Would you come over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and share your tasty recipe with us?
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mini bundts are super cute! I have a pan, but have never used it. I should try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @RavieNomNoms Aww, thanks so much! I was very happy with how these turned out!

    @S.V. I do, too. Then I don't feel as guilty eating two or three ;)

    @The Poet Herself Thanks so much for stopping by!

    @Chic Homeschool Mama OO, let me know if you try these out. I'd love to hear about it!

    @Anita Stafford I held out for quite a while, but I DO recommend getting a pan like this! The little cakes are so convenient!

    @Emily Thanks! They were a pleasant surprise :)

    @Abby Yes, do! You won't regret it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love Dories recipes. They are yummy. I also love bundt pans, they are just so dang cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so delicious just look at the interior of the cake it's so juice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: