8.17.2013

Blackberry-Blueberry Scones with Honey-Butter Glaze

.  Well sadly...summer is a-windin' down.  Even though we really didn't have a summer though, I guess.  So regardless that it's nearly September, it seems odd to me that the weather has already begun to cool.  Fall is by far my most favorite season so I'm not complaining one bit.  But I will admit that I did miss the summer heat that never seemed to show.  Oh well...


But like I mentioned before, I have a couple of 'summer' treats that I have to pump out before it gets too late.  Because we all know that once August hits, it's officially Fall baking season.  So pumpkin, spices, apples, and more pumpkin, are fair game.  Watch out peeps.


So for one of my last summery goodies, I must say that we're leaving the season with a b.a.n.g.  Or in other words, this is a legit scone that even Robbie enjoyed [i.e., he's not a bready fan, so scones are one of his least favorite things].  


But lucky for you, me and Robbie, these are one of the most unique scones I've had to date because the flavor combination of fresh, tart, juicy blackberries and blueberries with the thick, sweet, salty taste of the Honey-Butter Glaze?  Well, dyyyyyamn.

And we all know that scones get a bad wrap because they don't seem to keep very long [i.e., they get crumbly and somewhat stale].  But the secret to keeping these scrumptious scones fresh for days?


That Honey-Butter Glaze.

If you happen to sneak a bite of the scones straight out of the oven [pre-glazed], you'll first realize how incredibly delicious this buttery, fruity goodie is just by itself.   But slathering the salty-sweet combination of honey-butter over the fresh scones seems to lock in all of that moist goodness.  And no doubt adds an extra flavor element to make this one of the best scones I've ever eaten.  Let alone produced out of my very own kitchen.  BOOM!


To leave you all, it's officially Robbie's birthday weekend so I'll be spending the next couple of days tending to his every need.  Oh, is that different from other days around here though...?

Just kidding ☺ But we will be out and about and his brother, Danny, will be joining us Sunday for the day, so we definitely have a packed weekend ahead of us!  Hope you enjoy your days off as you please, until next time!  .


Ingredients:
Blackberry-Blueberry Scones:
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 c. heavy whipping cream
3-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. frozen blueberries 
1/2 c. frozen blackberries
Milk (for brushing)

Honey-Butter Glaze:
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. unsalted butter

Directions:
  1. Put lemon juice into a liquid measuring cup and add heavy whipping cream to the 1 cup mark.  Let stand for a few minutes to make soured cream.  
  2. Heat oven to 425°F.  Arrange oven rack to upper third position.  Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper; set aside.
  3. In a food processor, add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and blend briefly.  Add butter and pulse to make coarse mixture.  Turn out mixture to a large bowl and make a well in the center.  Add egg, vanilla extract, and enough soured cream to make a soft but firm dough.  Gently fold in blueberries and blackberries.
  4. Turn out dough to lightly floured surface and knead briefly to make a firm dough.  Pat out dough into 1-inch thick circle.  Cut dough into wedges or rounds and place on prepared baking sheet.  Brush each scone with milk.
  5. Bake 16 to 19 minutes or until scones are nicely browned.  
  6. While scones are baking, make the glaze by heating honey and butter in a liquid measuring cup until melted mixture is simmering (about 1-1/2 minutes).  Brush scones with honey-butter glaze as they come out of the oven.  Let scones cool for about 15 minutes before brushing on honey-butter glaze once more.
Yield: 1 dozen scones

post signature

10 comments:

  1. Wish I could come join you guys while Danny is in town and try these delicious looking treats!!Love Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Autumn too, the weather has been miserable so I've already started my Autumn baking. These look perfect, blackberries to me are a summer/autumn fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'll send you my addy again in case you have leftovers! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these a little while back and finally posted them on my blog today. Thank you so much for the recipe :) Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scones get stale? Who knew? Not around here they don't. Just popped some blackberries I bought this afternoon into the freezer to try this recipe on Saturday. Mind if I pin the weekend crash and burn of our diet on you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you heat the butter and honey in the microwave or on the stove in a pot of water?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made these today, OMGOSH are they ever wonderful, thank you for sharing with us. I will never buy another scone again after finding this recipe....I used all Blackberries so used a cup, my berries were fresh not frozen but honestly I don't know how the scones could be any better. Have some mixed berries frozen think I will try them next. I warmed/melted my butter/honey in the microwave. Thanks Again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, just made these....there great, not too sweet, not to doughy, not too hard to make....love them plain and with the honey glaze, also made some with less honey and they were still great! Tyvm!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: