7.31.2011

A Happy Birthday and Homemade 'Funfetti' Cupcakes

. Well you can probably guess what's coming next....


Happy, Happy 24th Birthday, Ms. Hollyann!



Today is officially Hollyann's (a.k.a Bacon-loving Friend) big birthday and I want to wish her the best birthday yet, I know her boyfriend will take care of that though!  No pressure, Brandon...

For the office celebration of Hollyann's birthday, which took place on Friday, I offered up my services to bring in Hollyanns' treat-of-choice.  Most would assume that when given this chance, you would conjure up some decadent dessert [or at least that's what I would do!].  I mean if someone else is making it, why not?!  But no, instead Hollyann went basic and old school on me and asked for nothing more but her favorite 'Funfetti' Cake.  I was actually quite excited about this request though because 1) I had never made a Funfetti Cake before and 2) it gave me the chance to bring some favorite recipes together to make her goodie [ahem, we don't do boxes around here].  


What I came up with was quite simple, but I think it all turned out very nicely and the birthday girl was happy.  Which is all that matters in the end anyway!

Since I can never make exactly what someone asks for [my dad would know about this], I opted to make her cake into cupcakes, since those are always easier to share in the office.  For the cupcakes, I chose the basic [yet fabulous] Vanilla Cupcakes from the More from Magnolia book.  I've used this recipe before to make the Strawberry Vanilla Cake, so I pretty much knew what I'd be getting here.  It's a great recipe, a slightly dense cupcake with a wonderful vanilla-butter flavor.  Simple, yet perfectly constructed by the magicians over at Magnolia.  


Instead of just a regular frosting, Hollyann mentioned how much she loved the cream cheese frosting from the Hummingbird Cupcakes, so that was easy.  Yet another simple recipe but one that I will be using for years to come.  

And what's a 'Funfetti' Cupcake without confetti?!  Here's the ridiculous easy, no-brainer part.  All I did here was throw in some sprinkles to the both the batter and the frosting, and there you have it: 'Funfetti' Cupcakes!


So I hope that Hollyann has the most blissful birthday!  It's crazy to think that we've already known each other for over a year now...wow!  And I can't wait to see what's in store, love you girlie! .

My Notes:
  • When mixing the batter, mix just before the batter completely comes together.  You'll be adding and stirring in the sprinkles following this step, which will allow you to combine the batter just enough.  Otherwise you'll end up with 'tough' cupcakes.
  • Make sure to let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting, otherwise the cream cheese and butter will soften and slide off.  Not pretty.
Homemade 'Funfetti' Cupcakes
Adapted from Magnolia Bakery and Bake or Break


Ingredients:
Cake:
1-1/2 c. self rising flour
1-1/4 c. all purpose flour
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 c. sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (1.25 oz.) jar of sprinkles

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. butter, softened
2-1/2 scant c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. sprinkles

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350°F.  Line 12 muffin cups with liners; set aside.

2.  In a small bowl, combine self rising flour and all purpose flour; set aside.  In a large bowl, cream butter until smooth.


3.  Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy (about 3 minutes).



4.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with milk and vanilla extract (with each addition, beat until incorporated but do not over beat).




5.  Gently stir in sprinkles.  Fill muffin cups with batter, a little over 1/2 full.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean.  Let cupcakes cool completely.  Repeat with remaining batter.



6.  For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together until creamy.


7.  Gradually add in powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Add in vanilla extract and beat until combined.  Stir in sprinkles.



8.  Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.


Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes

7 comments:

  1. @Brandon Erdman Why, thank you! We probably should have saved one for you, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these with the sprinkles in the icing! So simple but so pretty!!

    theeffspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Vanessa K They are super simple but I love how those things always end up being so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable. Lucky birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I love the idea of homemade funfetti. You can change up the color combinations to suit the occasion. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your homemade funfettis-just pinned it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: