1.15.2012

Sunday Special: {Healthy} Homemade Bruschetta


.  Oh, Sunday Specials.  You have been missed.  More so by Robbie than me, I would assume.  Don't get me wrong, finding good tasting healthy meals is very rewarding, but the process of shopping and making meals that are over in 15 minutes just...rubs me wrong.  For whatever reason.  I guess I'd rather spend that time, well, baking.  I know, it doesn't really make sense but in my own little head it does.  And that's all that matters.

But the return of Sunday Specials is largely due to the vast amounts of football watching that has been going on at our house lately.  But I can't blame Robbie because I've been just as interested in the play off games going on.  You can't deny that play off season for any sport is worth watching.  Well I guess someone could, but I'm probably not friends with those people.  Kiddingggggg...kind of ☺


So for the first round of play off games last weekend, I made a healthy version of Bruschetta for Robbie and his dad.  And a little to my surprise, this little appetizer disappeared faster than...well, it was just fast.

This one [or two] bite snack is outrageously flavorful, beginning with a mixture of basil, garlic, onion, and fresh, juicy tomatoes.  The refreshing topping is placed upon toasted, crunchy pieces of French Bread, a well known combination that is always a favorite.  And what makes it even better is the fact that you're munchin' on something healthy.


So take a couple of these and enjoy the play off games with us.  Side of guilt not included  .



Ingredients:
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. snipped fresh chives
1 tbsp. snipped fresh basil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 c. seeded and chopped plum and/or yellow tomatoes
1/2 c. finely chopped red onion
Salt
Ground pepper
1 (8 oz.) loaf baguette-style French Bread

Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon olive oil, chives, basil, lemon juice, and garlic. Add tomatoes and onion; toss to coat.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Set aside.
  2. Turn on broiler in oven and place rack 3 to 4 inches from top.  Slice bread into 36 pieces.  Arrange slices on baking sheet and lightly brush top sides with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Broil bread for 2 to 3 minutes or until toasted.  Turn bread and broil the second side for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted.  
  3. To serve, spoon tomato mixture onto oiled side of each bread.  Serve within 30 minutes.
Yield: 36 servings

Nutrition Facts: Calories 30; Total Fat 1g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 43mg; Carbohydrate 4g; Total Sugar 0g; Fiber 0g; Protein 1g; 

8 comments:

  1. YUM!! I LOVE Bruschetta. And these look over the top delicious. Wish I had one right this very minute!

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nann from At Nann's Table They were very good, so light and refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and how simple it is to make. Thanks so much for stopping by Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bruschetta, it's the best and so simple to make, and it seems like everyone loves it. How could you not? I've made things for the hubby before during football games, now he wants it every time ;) Thanks for sharing...I'm your newest follower! Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog. If you're looking for tasty recipes come check out my blog!! http://bridgetbakes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bridget Haha I'm right there with you, once they get a 'special' treat, they want it all of the time! But it's a catch 22, because I do enjoy making the guys snacks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @CraveCute Why thank you, they really were great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! This looks great! MMM! What a great snack! Thanks for linking up to the Tuesday Talent Show! I hope to see you again next week!
    -Nikki
    Chef in Training
    www.chef-in-training.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: