1.24.2012

Tried & True Tuesday: Banana Streusel Bread

.  I don't have much to report as of this lovely Tuesday.  My life has been rather unexciting as of late [not that it's really ever exciting, I guess?!].  Apparently I need to pick up a hobby or something...

So we're going to hop right into this Tried & True post.  Sound good?  Good.

I've actually made this Banana Streusel Bread a couple of times.  Gasp!  As you probably know, I don't make many things twice, so if I do, it must be good.  But not only is this unique bread outrageously delicious, filled with banana goodness and chunks of creamy caramel, this loaf is quite pretty.  To go along with the scrumptious bananas and rich caramel [yes, I'm repeating this twice so you don't miss out on these facts!], the bread is topped with crunchy pecans, adding a deep nutty flavor and rounding out the elements oh-so-wonderfully.

This bread, as all quick breads are, is simple and easy, perfect for a busy week night adventure in the kitchen or as a wonderful weekend treat.  Either way, it's a win  .



Ingredients:
2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. pecans, coarsely chopped
1 (5.5 oz.) package chewy caramels, coarsely chopped
2 ripe large bananas, mashed
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/3 c. flavored yogurt (plain, coffee, vanilla, or caramel flavored)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350°F and place rack in center of oven.  Butter or spray with non-stick vegetable spray bottom and sides of 9x5-inch loaf pan.  Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 2/3 cup pecans, and half of chopped caramels.  Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine bananas, eggs, butter, yogurt, and vanilla extract.  Lightly fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until combined and batter is thick and chunky (do not over mix).  Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup pecans and chopped caramels.
  4. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until bread is golden and toothpick inserted in center of bread comes out clean.  Place on wire rack to cool before removing bread from pan.
Yield: 1 loaf

17 comments:

  1. Yum! Baking, photographing, and blogging are hobbies, no? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they would also be yummy as muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many extra-brown bananas right now. This sounds like a delicious solution! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have everything in the pantry to make this! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! And sounds like it to: I mean, the banana and caramel? Yum! The combination almost reminds of banoffee pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jennifer Lien Haha I guess I need another hobby so I can make m life sound somewhat exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Shutterbug Oh wow, great point! I may have to try that...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Tessa Oo well how perfect! Let me know if you try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Cindy Great, I'd love to hear if you make this bread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more It is such a great bread and the caramel really throws it over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @kyleen I've never had banoffee pie, how sad, but what I do know of it I can see the resemblance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy. This recipe looks just delicious. I must try it. Come visit us. We have an awesome molten cocoa cake today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks amazing!! Can't wait to check out the rest of your recipes. Try my cream cheese banana bread sometime!=)http://bellesbazaar-heather.blogspot.com/2011/12/fat-friday-cream-cheese-banana-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the streusel topping on this Jess. Makes it that little bit more special. Thanks so much for linking up with me last week on "Thriving on Thursdays". The party starts again in a couple hours (Thursday our time here in Australia) and I'd love for you to stop by again if you get a minute.

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete
  15. My family really enjoy this banana bread. Even thou I put white sugar instead of brown sugar but it stil turn out great! Will make again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My family really enjoy this. Even thou I use white sugar instead of brown sugar but it still turn out great! I will make again and again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: