2.21.2012

TWD Baking with Julia: Chocolate Truffle Tartlets


.  TWD?  Baking with Julia?  Did you miss something here?

No, no, nothing has slipped by you.  I've actually been waiting for over one year to make this announcement.  Over one year for this very post.

You all know that I'm part of a couple monthly challenges, both SRC and ICC [the Secret Recipe Club and the Improve Cooking Challenge, for you newbies].  But since the day I started blogging, one group was always out of my grasp.  Yes, the infamous Tuesdays with Dorie (TWD) club.  For those of you who don't know of Dorie Greenspan, well, she's basically THE baker woman and a well known cookbook author.  So much so that there is an entire blog and following dedicated to honoring her work [obv the group I speak of now!].  You can read the entire TWD history for the full story, but the group is based around recreating recipes from Dorie's books or from books written by her and other authors.  The first book adventure, Baking: From My Home to Yours [by Dorie], began in 2008 and officially wrapped up in December 2011.  That's FOUR YEARS people!  Fortunately I started blogging when the group only had one year left [ha!], but here I am now.  An official TWD member!


So beginning in February 2012, the TWD club commenced, this time making recipes from Baking with Julia, written by Dorie and Julia Child.  There's basically only one major rule to the group: every month, two recipes are chosen from the book and members are encouraged to post about both of them, however, only one monthly post is required.  The actual recipes are posted on the blogs of the hosts for the month, where you can also find the links to other members' posts.  That's it!  Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted into the group until about a week or so before the first post, so I opted to skip that one [it was White Bread, in case you're curious!].

Consequently, I was left with Chocolate Truffle Tartlets.  Left?  Ha, that makes it sound like it was a chore.  Hmm?  No.  When you get something this dang good, it's anything but an obligation.  Dorie and Julia completely outdid themselves with this one.  And I can guarantee I will be saying that, oh, every TWD post ☺

So to be frank, these tartlets are pretty fancy pants.  They look fancy, taste fancy, and the name 'tartlets' just screams  fancy!


I will forewarn, these take a couple of steps, but I was quite caught off guard by how easy they were to make.  And the product?  Rich decadence.  Pure bliss.  I swear.

Let's start from the outside: a chocolate crust.  Uh, yum?  Yes sirree.  The crust itself is flakey and well, chocolatey.  Not an outrageous chocolate flavor though.  No, there's enough chocolatey-ness in the filling to complement this subtly sweet and buttery crust.  But I know you are all curious as to what make these tartlets so special.  And yes, you guessed it.  It's that filling!  Not only do you get to sink your chompers into a chocolate truffle middle, a seriously soft and creamy filling, but you'll also get to indulge in chunks of milk chocolate, white chocolate, and bits of biscotti.  Okay, kind of random combination if you ask me, but BOY [or girl], does it work!  How could all of that together not be good, anyway?  Answer?  It can't.

To be honest, I was a tad intimidated to attempt this recipe.  I'd never made tartlets before, so I had no clue what to expect.  But the directions were spot on and I can't really think of any hitches I experienced?  The only thing I can recall is that the crust can have a tendency to be crumbly, so just be patient with it.  Otherwise, you should be golden!


For my first TWD post, I think things went rather well!  I even sent 'sneak peak' pictures to my mom because I was so excited [and shocked!] that the tartlets turned out.  So head on over to Spike, Jaime, or Jessica's blog to find the recipe for Chocolate Truffle Tartlets and experience these heavenly rounds for yourself!  .

29 comments:

  1. Oh wow... your tarts turned out so pretty. Definitely much better-looking than mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your inside texture looks a lot like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess

    Congrats on the TWD Club. How exciting for you!

    Your tarts look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You've come so far on this blogging journey and I hope it only gets better. And btw, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my first TWD too - and I loved it. Your collage is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tarts look beautiful. I too missed out on TWD. I was so excited when I learned they were starting anew. Yay.

    Just a side note: My dad grew up in Omaha (he was born in 1918) and we would visit every so often. He was huge "big red" fan. I see you're posting from Omaha and it makes me feel nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tarts turned out so beautifully! Looking forward to baking with you and the rest of TWD :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right! They scream fancy AND delicious!!! Congrats on making it in to TWD! That's so dang exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these sound delicious! and are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to have found you in the SRC. These tarlets look divine. Oh, my! On my long list of things to do. Thanks, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum! You know, I have that book, and didn't realize Dorie was the other author. Crazy!

    Your version is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so decadent!

    I've seen TWD before but never understood what it was...thx for sharing..sounds like a great club to be a part of!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Jess! So nice to be on this baking adventure with you!! Your tarts look perfect....and they tasted fabulous, didn't they????

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome aboard! Everything looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the look of your tarts! how great these turned out and the pretty purple flower to boot!

    Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on joining the TwD group! Your first baking assignment looks fabulous. Glad you had good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I WISH I had one of these right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look so good. Life got crazy and I wasn't able to get them done. But this is the week. I can't wait to try them as they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome to TWD!! Your tarts look very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm pinning this....It looks amazing! I'd like to invite you to share it @CountryMommaCooks Link & Greet party this Saturday...have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks amazing! So rich and delicious, yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yummy. I hop you will please come share this at my monthly link up along with anything else you would like to share. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/02/1-month-of-fun-february-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness do these look sinful! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I feel so bad I missed this--life was crazy at our home. But crazy is a perfect time for chocolate tarts. The look yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: