5.10.2012

Dark Chocolate Lava Cookies

.  Sad day.  Sad, sad day.

Okay, not that sad.  But I bet you can guess what I'm referring to since it's Thursday.  

Sad to say, but The Foamers experienced our first loss last week.  I know, I know.  We're still trying to work through it.  But all good things must come to an end, right?


But I'm fairly certain drinks at the bar after the game cured all woes.  So don't feel sorry for our team.  We rebound rather quickly ☺

Oh, and these gooey, fudgy, outrageously chocolatey cookies helped a bit, too.


So what is there to say about these cookies except that they may be one of the most unique cookies I've made to date.  Truly.  First, they're flourless.  And butterless.  HUH?!  I know.  How in the world could they be even remotely good?  Well they done one better than that.  They were PHENOMENAL!


In some magical fashion, these cookies were gooey goodness 24/7.  See these pictures here?  These are after a night of sitting AND absolutely no microwave action.  Yet look at all of that melted deliciousness?!  I still have yet to figure out how they stay this way but you won't hear any complainig from me.  The cookies actually remind me of an episode of the Food Networks's The Best Thing I Ever Ate, when Rocco Dispirito featured a double chocolate cookie from a New York bakery.  To his wonder [and the bakers amusement], Rocco could never figure out their secret.  So...I won't even try.

But regardless, it shouldn't take much convincing for you to try these out.  Short ingredient list.  Simple to make.  Easy to stuff your face with.  Good combo, I would say!

Wish The Foamers good luck tonight!  I think we might start needing it  .

My Notes:
  • Before I started baking, I read a lot of the comments on the post I got this recipe from to see what kinds of things people had to say about these.  And am I glad I did!  There was a TON of great tips on correct ways to make meringue, which is essentially what you're making with the egg whites and powdered sugar.  But the one tip I highly recommend is making sure your egg whites are at room temperature, otherwise you won't be able to stiffen them up.  Also, make sure to NOT use a plastic bowl, always use a metal or glass bowl when making meringue.
  • I do recommend clicking on over to Divine Baking to take a look at her picture tutorial of how to make these cookies.  I found them very helpful when determining what consistency I needed, etc. 

Adapted from Divine Baking

Ingredients:
1-1/2 c. dark chocolate chips, divided
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2-1/2 c. powdered sugar, divided
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350F.  Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.  Melt 1 cup of dark chocolate chips in microwave, stirring after 30 second intervals, until melted and smooth.  Set aside to cool slightly.
  2. Using electric mixer, beat eggs whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form.  Gradually beat in 1-1/4 cup of powdered sugar and continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow creme.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 1-1/4 cup of powdered sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt.  On low speed, beat dry ingredients into meringue.  Add in melted chocolate and remainig 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips (dough will become extremely stiff).
  4. Place 1/2 cup powdered sugar in a bowl.  Scoop out 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball.  Roll in powdered sugar, coating thickly.  Place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
  5. Bake 10 minutes or until  puffed and tops are cracked.  Let cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before removing to wire rack.
Yield: 18 cookies

post signature

17 comments:

  1. Wow. Those look so good. At first glance they look like crinkle cookies, but I love the gooey-ness of them on the inside. I'll be making these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look unbelievably sctumptious. I love how the chocolate is just oozing out of the center of the cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these cookies. They are so good. And beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow... not your typical chocolate crinkle cookies! I thought mine were pretty phenomenal, but I think these probably beat them by a mile and then some. I definitely have to try these and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I think that might have come out wrong... it's supposed to mean that yours look like they'd beat mine by a mile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look so delicious! Can't wait to try them. We're so glad you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Thanks for coming and we hope you'll be back. -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, these are amazing! Pinned - can't wait to give them a try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh la la! Beatiful pictures. These look delish. I would love to invite you to come party with us on Fabulous Friday. If you can make it I would LOVE to have you. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so making these! They look so yummy! I'm putting dark chocolate chips on the grocery list right now. Pinned! I'd love for you to share this at my link party. http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/05/terrific-tuesday-15.html
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies look amazing! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are truly amazing. I'm literally drooling right now! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Tuesday at Nap-Time Creations. You will be featured at this weeks party!! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, wow! Those look heavenly. I just bought dark chocolate chips yesterday, plus I have leftover egg whites in the fridge. Definitely have to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've had molten lava cake before but not cookies. I will have to try them because they look sinfully delicious. I've selected these as a featured cookie for the week at our Holiday Cookie Recipe Swap. I hope you'll come by and grab a button: http://thedomesticatedprincess.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: