8.07.2012

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread


Well...

It ain't the prettiest thing you've ever seen.


BUT!  It's downright tasty.  Otherwise I wouldn't have put out the effort to even showcase this recipe on LSM, now would I?  But you may be wondering what happened, huh?  Well basically my impatience got to me and when I tried to take the bread out of the pan [pretty much right after it got taken out of the oven...], the loaf split in two.  Dang it.

However, I will admit, I couldn't resist posting this recipe because of all of the zucchini recipes blowing up my Google Reader as of late [oh, and because my co-worker brought me the biggest zucchini I've ever seen].  So I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon.  I've seen a dozen of good lookin' zucchini recipes but I would bet that this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread has to be one of the better tasting recipes out there. 


Juuuuuuust kidding to every other blog out there that has posted a zucchini recipe...don't hate me.

But I will stand by this recipe through and through.  It's that scrumptious, easy, and simply kept my fingers grabbing for more.  I first had this bread when I was visiting my aunt and I immediately asked for the recipe.   The bread was way too flavorful and uber moist to pass up. The original didn't have any chocolate chips [so feel free to leave those out] but I couldn't resist.  Who doesn't like a little dose of rich chocolate?!

On a side note, Robbie and I are headed to Idaho this weekend for the Wakasugi Family Reunion [wahoooooo, I seriously can't wait!], so this will be my last post for the week.  Too much work and packing to get done before we head off.  So it looks like I'll have two trips to catch you guys up on when I get back!  Remind me  .

My Notes:
  • I actually made a couple of batches of this bread because I had so much zucchini to use but also because I botched the first round [I forgot to put in the canola oil].  However, the bread still turned out really good!  So for a healthier version, you could leave out the canola oil.  But I suggest going with the full fat version ☺
  • Like most quick breads, this recipe is the best after a day or so because it gives all of the flavors time to really meld.  Or you can dig in right away.  Your choice.
  • The original recipe called for three 5-3/4x3-inch mini loaves, so if you choose to do this just bake the breads for approximately 40 to 45 minutes.


Adapted from Taste of Home

Ingredients:
1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 c. mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 tsp. banana extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. shredded zucchini
3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 325°F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  In a small bowl, beat the egg, bananas, canola oil, banana extract, and vanilla extract.  Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
  3. Pour batter into 9x5-inch loaf pan.  Bake approximately 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool almost completely before removing from pan to wire rack.  
Yield: 1 loaf


post signature

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this! Some friends of ours are out of town this week and asked us to visit their garden whenever we want and take what we can use...heading over today and hoping they still have zucchini coming (I've already used a couple huge ones from their garden for various recipes) so I can make this bread... Our kiddos will love it! Have a great time at your family reunion this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it looks delicious. Even if I had to eat it with a fork I still want some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog...it's my honor, hope you can have more good newsin here!Welcome to MMolive.com!MMolive.com is your best friend,WOW Gold,RS Gold and Crystal Saga Gold is your best choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zucchini bread is awesome and you just took it up a notch with chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a stellar idea! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have both bananas and zucchini to use. This looks like a great recipe, I agree a little chocolate doesn't hurt.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this yesterday... I made the following changes...
    I substituted the oil for 1/2 applesauce, and used a cup of honey instead of the sugar (and cooked it longer) I added a cup of carrots and may have upped the zucchini (used my premade bags of 2c shredded).And I didnt' have banana extract, so I just doubled the vanilla!
    IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! It did not fall apart at all, was really hearty, but heavenly! And I feel I get my fair share of nutrients for a sweet dessert! (and breakfast!)
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this yesterday but made these changes...
    Substituted the oil for 1/2 C of Applesauce, used 1C honey instead of sugar (which means cooking a tad cooler than 325, I did 315 but for longer, until it was clean on a toothpick), and I added a cup of shredded carrots, and probably a tad more zucchini... I eyeballed it, and I'm pretty sure I went over!
    It was awesome! Mine did not fall apart, in fact it was very hearty, half a muffin and I was full! But I LOVE the healthy option this gives! yum yum yum! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: