8.21.2012

TWD Baking with Julia: Popovers


.  Whoa.

Easiest thing I've ever made, let alone the easiest TWD recipe to date.  And guess what?  Still dang scrumptious.

 A true one-bowl wonder that you'll want to keep in your repertoire.  Especially if you want to impress any visitors.  Popovers are simple but they look [and taste] fancy-schmancy.  Agreed?  Agreed.


I was actually a little taken aback at how short this recipe was.  But like I've said before, some of the best goodies come from the simplest of things.  And in this case, it's never been more true.

The popovers themselves are so light and airy, the classic popover many of you are probably used to.  I fell in love with the doughy innards and slightly crisp exteriors.  And the simple base got me thinkin': how many variations of this treat could you conjure up?!  Pair the popovers with sweet preserves, honey, or add in some savory items such as cheeses and herbs.  The possibilities are seemingly endless.


Once again, Dorie came through 100%.  What a lady.

And since I know I've peaked your interest, head over to our August hosts blogs, Vintage Kitchen  Notes and Bake with Amy, for the popover recipe.  Also, don't forget to check out the TWD LYL post to see all of the other TWD participants posts and get the inside scoop on how it all went down.  Bon appetite!  .

My Notes:
  • As you'll read in the recipe, you can make the popovers in either a popover tin [which I don't have] or in regular muffin cups.  I opted for the latter, so as you can see, my popovers aren't as 'high' as most popovers.  Nevertheless, they were still wonderful!
  • Dorie says to serve the popovers straight out of the oven, and I wholeheartedly agree.  But I did throw some into a ziploc bag over night to see how they'd fare, and I've got to be honest, they were still pretty good.  Maybe throw them into the microwave for a couple seconds to heat them up, but I had no problem eating them straight from the baggie.


post signature

9 comments:

  1. I've never made popovers, but I think that seeing yours may change that very soon! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, they lend themselves to infinite variations. Beautiful popovers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely popovers!
    Glad to have made them. It was love at first sight and bite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one delicious bite, I'm glad I finally made them. There are plenty of options here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to try custard cups next time - mine weren't as high out of the muffin pan, either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Minnesota! I can't believe you interned at the Salty Tart--what a cool experience! And everyone there seemed so nice and friendly.I just love your blog and the popovers look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved these! So many ways to serve them and they will be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness these look delicious! I haven't had popovers in forever and have always wanted to try to make them too. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday each week to share your wonderful posts. Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. These were crazy easy, weren't they? (We will probably be begging for these when we get to some of the really crazy recipes).
    Look good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: