1.12.2013

7-Layer Magic Bars

.  Life...life.  Oh, how you slay me.

Yeah.


Some major changes have been going on in my life as of late.  Nothing I care to talk about at the moment, but it fully explains my extended hiatus from LSM and the blogging world.  I realize I've been alluding to this for the past several months but you'll just have to bear with me.  Sooner, rather than later, I'll get back into some sort of routine and I'll be back raring to go.  Trust me, it's been eating away at me that I haven't been able to get in the kitchen.  And now more than ever I could really use that baking stress relief.  But patience is a virtue, right?

However, in true Jess fashion, I did manage to squeeze in a quick baking sesh last week in honor of one of my co-workers.  A few months ago, my co-worker made a bet with a buddy of his to see who could lose the most weight by the New Year.  Honestly, I give him props.  I could never do the diet thing because I would be the most crabby person on Earth.  My family refers to it as 'low blood sugars.'  I don't know what they're talking about though [wink, wink].


Anywho, my co-worker pulled out the mighty win and promptly requested a baked goodie for his efforts.  And he knew exactly what he wanted.  I mean, what better way to celebrate a victory than with a bar layered with all of the most wonderful ingredients one can find in the baking aisle?  Count me in!

Whether you call them Magic, Bars, 7-Layer Bars, or a combination of the two, these bars are legit.  Simply the most addicting, classic bars you will find.  And when I say seven layers, I mean seven layers.  One after the other.  Let's count them, shall we?

Graham Cracker Crust [1]
Walnuts [2]
Semisweet Chocolate Chips [3]
White Chocolate Chips [4]
Butterscotch Chips [5]
Shredded Toasted Coconut [6]
Sweetened Condensed Milk [7]

Mmmmmhmmmmm.


If that isn't convincing, then...you're just SOL, huh?  Just kidding.  But you won't regret this one.  And whadda ya know, they're easy peasy.  Basically a sprinkling of ingredients and into the oven they go.  You're welcome!

Until my next post, but who knows when that will be  .

Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

Ingredients:
1 c. sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1-1/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 c. chopped walnuts
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. butterscotch chips
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
  1. Place oven rack in lower middle position.  Heat oven to 350°F.  Spray a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Spread coconut evenly on a baking sheet.  Bake 4 minutes or just until outside edges begin to brown.  Set aside.
  3. Melt butter and combine with graham cracker crumbs in a small bowl.  Press crumbs evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
  4. In order, sprinkle walnuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and coconut in even layers.  Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over layers.  
  5. Bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.  Cool completely in pan before cutting (about 2 hours).  
Yield: 2 dozen bars

post signature

4 comments:

  1. My, oh my! They look sooo good!

    Following your lovely blog's twitter and Pinterest. I blog @ Getting Healthy with Essential Oils

    I am also inviting you to join Tiddle Diddle Handmade Shoppe's first giveaway event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. You don't know me and I stumbled upon your blog via Pinterest. I found your running post (choc chip dough refrig bars) and so know the pain of being sidelined. And then I found your banana cookie post and I just wanted to say from my little corner of the world that there are those of us who (new followers like me and those who may call themselves loyals) will be here when you return. As a former journalist and former musician (my own long stories of goodbye) I know what it is to say "See ya" to something even for a while. I am trying my best to find the window that the universe is supposed to be opening as the other doors have closed. Still looking. Just know that there are those of us who are kindred spiritis who will continue to laugh with you and cry with you, no matter the spaces which separate us. Be well. I hope you are back to writing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so calling my name! I would love to have you come and link up at Taste and Tell Thursdays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing over at Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party . Hope you'll come back and share again tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: