12.17.2011

Frosted Cranberry Sugar Cookies



.  Okay, I promise.  This might be my last cranberry post for 2011.  Don't quote me on that though.

So what do we have here?  Well, let's take you to the grocery store.  You know, and I know you know, those packages of frosted sugar cookies at any and all grocery stores across the country?  Those pillowy cookies slathered with a mound of delicious buttercream?  The ones that no person can resist taking just one?  Yes, those sugar cookies.  Those lovely, lovely cookies.

Well I bring to you those cookies in homemade form.  Sound the trumpets!!  "Thank you, thank you [insert bowing to the crowd]."


Just kidding, I can't really take credit for these creations.  I stumbled upon this recipe over at Brown Eyed Baker, a blogger I've been 'following' since I first stepped foot into the world wide web scene.  Her recipe is for the original Lofthouse-style Frosted Sugar Cookies, but you know me.  I had to add in something, right?  My inspiration sprang from the holiday season, I wanted to turn these cookies into White Chocolate Frosted Cranberry Sugar Cookies.  Kind of makes my mouth water just thinking about the idea.  But lo 'n' behold, I didn't quite think the whole thing through.  I initially made the White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting from my Banana Cupcakes, but once I tasted the frosting, I didn't really think it would go with the cookie.  Well...it would, but they wouldn't resemble the grocery store sugar cookies and I just wasn't having that.  So I opted to use the [fabulously easy] buttercream recipe from Brown Eyed Baker.

In the end, the cookies were stupid good.  Yes, stupid.  It's a compliment.  But I kind of felt that without the White Chocolate Frosting, the cranberries were kind of a pointless add in.  If I would have had leftover white chocolate to blend into the buttercream, I would have.  But I didn't.  Next time!


But with the cranberries or not, these are a must for everyone to try.  Trust me, you will be more than pleased with the results and if you decide to make them for Christmas weekend [or any occasion for that matter], you can decorate the cookies accordingly.  Bring on the colored frostings and festive sprinkles!  .


My Notes:
  • Prior to baking, the dough needs to be chilled for about 2 hours.  Thus, you may need to plan a little ahead before making these.
  • You definitely don't want to over bake these cookies because they won't be as soft as the infamous Lofthouse goodies.  The cookies don't actually turn a different color until you've probably baked for them for a bit too long, so don't be scared to take them out even while they're still very light in color.  I baked my batches for exactly 8 minutes, but you'll have to adjust accordingly depending on how your oven heats.
Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

Ingredients:
Cookies:
6 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 c. sour cream
1 (6 oz.) package dried cranberries

Buttercream Frosting:
1 c. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 c. powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
6 tbsp. heavy whipping cream

Directions:
1.  In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

2.  In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).  Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated.  Add vanilla extract, sour cream and cranberries and beat at low speed until combined.




3.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat at low speed until combined (dough will be sticky).


4.  Divide dough into two sections and flatten into 1-1/2-inch thick rectangles, then wrap with plastic wrap.  Chill in refrigerator for at least two hours or overnight until firm.


5.  Heat oven to 425°F.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.

6.  Place a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper on countertop and place dough on top.  Lightly flour top of dough.  Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness.  Using a 2-1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out circles and transfer to baking sheet.




7.  Bake 7 to 8 minutes.  Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.



8.  For frosting, in a medium bowl, cream together butter and vanilla extract.  Slowly beat in powdered sugar and salt.  Once smooth and creamy, add heavy whipping cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.  Then beat frosting at medium-high speed for 1 to 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.


9.  Once cookies have cooled, frost cookies and decorate as desired.  


Yield: 5 dozen cookies

3 comments:

  1. Those cookies look amazing! (Sugar cookies are my weakness.) :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I love those cookies. Great thought to add cranberries! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Sugar cookies are the best cookies out there! Thanks so much for sharing on our Holiday Cookie Recipe Swap.
    Steph
    swtboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: