12.06.2011

Tried & True Tuesday: Chewy Molasses Sandwich Cookies

.  3 weeks.  Just about 3 weeks until Christmas.  CRAP!  Anyone with me?

Seriously, where has 2011 gone?  I know I'll also say the same thing around New Years but c'mon?  Every year seems to get shorter and shorter.  And I don't know how to feel about it.

But what I do know is that I need to start cranking out those holiday recipes that I want to share and get in the kitchen testing out the dishes I've had my eyes on.  All year.  All of this in, oh, 3 weeks.  It's doable... Right?  I will admit that I was in the kitchen ALL day Sunday, so I'm off to a good start.  Fingers crossed.

To kick off my mad dash to Christmas, here's one of my [and definitely Robbie's] all-time favorite sandwich cookies.  My mom first made these some years back for who knows what reason, but whatever it was, God bless that reason.  These cookie sandwiches are super easy to make but the combination of a chewy, deep flavored cookie surrounding a creamy, honey-flavored filling is quite simply, addicting.  Ah-dic-ting.  I know, you're eating two cookies in one swipe but I'll be darned if you can resist eating multiple sandwiches.  I wouldn't even try.

And what's even better is that these would make wonderful gifts!  Toss [not literally] them into some cute Christmas packaging or wrap a stack of them up in some cellophane and a festive ribbon.  Voila!  Beautiful, tasty, homemade gifts for the special ones in your life.  If you need any inspiration or don't know where to find this adorable packaging I speak of, check out Etsy's The Bakers Confection for tons of ideas.  I love, love, love this shop and in the spirit of the holidays, I felt it necessary to share with everyone.  Happy baking!  .


Adapted from Land 'O' Lakes

Ingredients:
Cookies:
2 c. all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 egg
1/4 c. molasses
1/4 c. sugar

Honey Filling:
2-1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. butter, softened
2 tbsp. honey
2 to 3 tbsp. milk

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350°F.  Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in medium bowl; set aside.
  2. Combine 1 cup of sugar and butter in large bowl.  Beat at medium speed until well mixed.  Add egg and molasses; continue beating until well mixed.  Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture.  Beat until well mixed.
  3. Place 1/4 cup of sugar in small bowl.  Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls; roll balls in sugar.  Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until edges are set (cookies will have cracks).  Cool 1 minute before removing to cooling racks.  Cool completely.
  4. For filling, combine powdered sugar, butter and honey.  Beat at low speed until well mixed.  Continue beating, adding enough milk for desired consistency.  Spread 1 rounded teaspoon of filling onto half of cookies and top with remaining cookies.  
Yield: 3-1/2 dozen cookie sandwiches

10 comments:

  1. Jess

    Baking and making Holiday treats is the easy part. It's the dish washing and cleaning up that takes all the extra time and energy.

    I love taking picts of my creations, but that is very time consuming also. At least it’s fun, most of the time.

    Looking forward to seeing more of your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! These look yummy. Another one to add to my list:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the I can't believe it's only 3 weeks until Christmas front. Yeesh! So much to do.

    These cookies sound awesome. I love the idea of honey filling. Will have to give these a go. But it might not be until after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the honey filling! These look great! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookies look great! Honey filling - wowwww, I love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yum! I have to try these. Stopping by from Mingle Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are awesome! I love molasses cookies. And with filling? Perfect! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, is the sugar dark brown, light brown, granulated or caster please?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I just made these as your photo and words were so convincing! Yet, I found them to be TINY?!? They also did not flatten?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: