12.19.2011

Secret Recipe Club: {Cherry Walnut} Fudge

.  Hey, hey, hey!  Let the count down begin {if it hasn't already}.  Less than one week from Christmas!  And what better time for an SRC post than...NOW!


This December I was given the honored assignment of That Skinny Chick Can Bake by Liz Berg.  First off, what a great blog name, huh?  Absolutely love it.  And to boot, Liz's blog is ah-mazing.  Beautifully designed and filled with outrageous recipes, both savory and sweet.  Since Liz is an avid baker, there was an endless number of possibilities for me to choose from, which is good but also made my decision that much harder.  Thanks, Liz {wink, wink}.  

Some of Liz's sweets that made my 'possibly make' list included Baked Cake Donuts with Chocolate Glaze, Chocolate Truffles and Chocolate Covered Caramels, Cinnamon Roll Danish, and Triple Layer Cocoa Cake {please note my chocolate theme, I was looking for something Christmas-sy, give me a break}.  But don't forget about those savory dishes I mentioned, there's an equal number of them on her blog and all are mouthwatering.  If I cooked, I would have hit some of those up.

But what I finally decided on making was based on a number of things.  I wanted something Christmas-sy, as I mentioned.  But I also wanted to try something out that I could use this coming Friday because my family is coming into town and we're also having some old softball friends over for a little get together.  Party time!  Just kidding, but I wouldn't doubt it getting a little rowdy over here on 56th Street.


So these few things landed me on Liz's Fudge Redux.  Honestly, I don't know what 'redux' means or how you even correctly pronounce it.  And I haven't taken the time to Google it either {yes, I'm that lazy}.  Sorry.  All I do know is that though my fudge expertise is quite limited, this is the best homemade fudge I have ever had.  I will even go out on a limb and say it compares to bakery fudge.  It's that delish.  And Robbie completely agreed after taking two {extra} huge chunks of this stuff.  

The funny thing about this recipe though is how stinkin' easy it was.  Yes, you have to be a little careful in the beginning using the candy thermometer and making sure you reach the right temp, but guys, I'm not good with a candy thermometer AND I don't think I have a great one at that.  But everything still turned out fantastic.  Beyond my expectations.  

The fuge is dense, uber rich, and oh-so-flavorful.  The only thing I changed about the recipe was adding in toasted walnuts and dried cherries.  I wanted a couple of add-ins and this combination just sounded so Christmas-sy to me {Christmas theme?  Check}.  The wonderful nuttiness and crunch from the walnuts complements the tart dried cherries and creamy fudge so perfectly.  I was a little worried that my fudge would turn out crumbly, as can happen a lot to homemade fudge, but Liz has that covered.  In her original post, she explains that the addition of the marshmallow creme prohibits the sugar from recrystallizing {absolutely no clue what that means} but after this recipe, I will blindly follow anything Liz says.


Oh how I love SRC.  Yes, yes, I do.  And thanks so much, Liz, for another fabulous addition to my SRC posts.  I absolutely fell in love with this recipe and many of your others, glad to be your newest follower!  .

My Notes:
  • Like most recipes when chocolate is the star, I suggest using the best quality you can find/afford.  For this fudge, I used Ghirardelli Semisweet Chocolate Chips, which is one of my go-to's.
  • After I placed the fudge in the pan to set, I did notice a little collection of some juices.  I'm still not positive why this happened, but my only guess is that the juices from the cherries were brought out.  But it didn't effect anything, nothing a little paper towel can't soak up!
Adapted from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Ingredients:
3 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter
2/3 c. evaporated milk
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow creme
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. chopped dried cherries
1/2 c. toasted chopped walnuts

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350°F.  To toast walnuts, place walnuts evenly on baking sheet and bake 10 minutes or until fragrant.  Set aside.  Line an 8x8-inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang (this will allow you to easily pick the fudge block out of the pan).  Set aside.

2.  Meanwhile, combine sugar, butter and evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan.  Bring to boil (cover with a lid for about 1 minute to make sure sugar is dissolved).



3.  Remove lid.  Insert candy thermometer into liquid.  Continue boiling for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently until thermometer reaches 234°F.  


4.  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until melted.


5.  Stir in marshmallow creme and vanilla extract until there are no white streaks.


6.  Fold in cherries and walnuts until evenly distributed.


7.  Pour fudge mixture into prepared pan to let set completely.  Use the parchment paper to lift the fudge out of the pan and cut into squares.


Yield: 24 servings


13 comments:

  1. Liz's site is amazing and what a great recipe pick for SRC. This fudge looks sinful! I am not going to try it b/c it would be too dangerous---I would eat the whole pan! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to try fudge for a while - I love the addition of cherries and walnuts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jess!!! I'm SO glad you picked this fudge as it is a family favorite! And I love your additions...mmmmmmmm. Thank you, also, for such a sweet intro...I am truly honored!

    PS...redux is simply a fancy name for redo...or repeat. I've blogged about this fudge more than once :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just drool over Liz's blog on a regular basis! You got a great blog to choose from. I wouldn't know where to begin. But this fudge was a wonderful choice! Your pictures are so inviting...this looks so good and so....well fudgey! A great treat around the holidays and a great post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great fudge recipe and so creative! Liz has a wonderful blog and now I have discovered another wonderful blog - yours. Glad to be part of SRC with you. Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fudge looks amazing! Thanks for the reminder to make some this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously fudge-y, like fudge should be. I like how yo made it seem like even those of candy retarded could make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fudge is good! We love it, also love your additions. Great SRC round.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound awesome! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the combo of cherries and walnuts! Sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This fudge looks incredible and thanks for sharing! I’ve been inspired to feature this post in today's Friday Food Fetish roundup. If you have any objections, please let me know. Have a wonderful holiday and keep amazing food coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! Like a chocolate covered cherry. Such a lovely combination of flavors. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This fudge looks SO good. YUM! And I love your step by step tutorial! I am a new blogger of seven weeks and saw you on Thriving on Thursdays. I'm so glad I came and will start joining your weekly link up. I just became a follower. Would love you to come by blog and tell me what you think. We both have a love of good food!

    Nann

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: