6.10.2012

Lemon Blueberry Bread Pudding


.  I'm sorry.

Not sure if you've noticed, but my posts have been lacking as of late.  Not quite sure why but I guess I haven't felt like it.  I've been a bit busy with work, our recent trip to LaLa Land, and I think I've been mentally preparing for the month of June, which will be one crazy time.  But there will be more about that later this week.


But what I will let you in on is that our month of June will involve a number of out of town visitors.  And.  I.  Can't.  Wait.

If you haven't heard, I live for entertaining.  Granted, I'm not the best at it.  But I love planning meals and getting to watch people enjoy the things I have for them.  One of those particular reasons I can't get enough of baking, actually.  But anywho, the fact that we'll be having some guests is what brings me to this post: Lemon Blueberry Bread Pudding.  Odds are my visitors will be shoveling this in their face sometime in the next couple of weeks...


First, it's ridiculously easy.  Like most bread puddings I would say.  Second, stupid good.  Yes, 'stupid' in this context is a good thing.  A great thing.  There's a few things that make this bread pudding extra special, too.  Let me fill you in: local, luscious blueberries bursting in every bite, a slightly crunchy sugary topping, and of course, bready goodness bringing it all together with the help of a thick, creamy custard.  Doesn't get much better, my dear friends.  

I'll admit, I'm a bit bias when it comes to any bread pudding.  I'm like my mama and can't get enough of this breakfast/dessert.  It's just irresistible.  And when I get a quality one, it's all over.  I may or may not have eaten the majority of this goodness-in-a-pan all by myself.  You'll never know though...


Now that you have this on your baking list [yep, you do], make sure to keep an eye on LSM later this week to hear about the big news!  Especially you Omaha'ers ;)  .

My Notes:
  • When placing the blueberries in the pan, you'll have excess flour left over in the bowl.  Make sure to leave it out of the bread pudding, the flour is only to keep the blueberries from sinking and you don't need the excess.
  • This time around I used a nine-grain loaf from Great Harvest Bread Company.  I personally  liked it and it made me feel a bit better knowing I was at least eating a healthier bread.  But some found that the graininess of the bread didn't work for them, so I would definitely go with a great challah or brioche.  Nom, nom, nom!


Adapted from Heirloom Baking

Ingredients:
Bread Pudding:
3 c. blueberries
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
6 tbsp. butter, melted
2 c. milk
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. nutmeg
1-1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
3/4 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 eggs, beaten
1 round loaf bread (e.g., challah, nine grain, brioche), cut into 1-inch squares

Sugar Topping:
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1/3 c. sugar

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350°F.  Spray 13x9-inch pan with non stick cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Toss blueberries and flour together in a small bowl.  Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine butter, milk, heavy whipping cream, salt, nutmeg, sugar, lemon zest, lemon extract, and vanilla extract.  Add eggs and beat to combine.  
  4. Place half of bread pieces evenly into prepared pan.  Pour half of custard over bread and sprinkle with half of blueberries.  Add remaining bread pieces, then custard and blueberries.  Cover bread pudding loosely with plastic wrap and gently press down to ensure the custard has moistened all of the bread.  Let stand 15 minutes.  Remove plastic wrap and brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
  5. Cover pan with foil.  Bake 30 minutes .  Remove foil and bake an additional 45 minutes or until pudding is bubbling, topping has caramelized, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out relatively clean.  Allow to cool 1 hour before serving.
Yield: 16 servings


post signature

12 comments:

  1. I love entertaining for the same reason, I get to totally indulge my guests! This bread pudding looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, isn't it fun?! Those happy faces make everything worth it :)

      Delete
  2. i love bread pudding, and this looks like a fantastic recipe to try

    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear if you try this out!

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious. Bread pudding is different. Not everyone makes it, so this recipe is unique. I am baking a few things for ab reakfast party, and I think this will be a big hit. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, you don't see it TOO often but I always tell people they don't know what they're missing! And the varieties are endless!

      Delete
  4. YUM! I love bread pudding and anything with blueberries! I have pinned and will be trying very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin! Please stop by to let me know if you ever try this out :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so going to have to make this! YUMMY! I'd love for you to follow me on www.six-cents.com!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! I just wanted to tell you I made this for my Grandma's 75th birthday party and it was a huge hit! Seriously so easy to make and dangerously delicious! I was glad I made it for a party because I could have easily eaten the entire thing myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you substitute fresh lemon juice for the lemon extract?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can but I would maybe do some Google research to see if it's 1:1. Happy baking!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: