6.28.2012

The One and Only: Scotcharoos

.  Oh hey.  Yes, I'm alive.  Barely.

Telling from the lack of posts the last couple of weeks, you can most likely guess that the CWS and Tasty Bites kept both Robbie and I fairly busy.  Fairly may be an understatement though.

But regardless, the crazy crowds, too many cheese curds, and ample family time are things that I wouldn't have traded for anything.  It was a crazy time but I think we all had too much fun.  And you can bet I'd do it all over again!  Pictures to come...


Unfortunately I had to miss the last couple of Foamer softball games [the cheese curd trailer was a-callin'!] and I'm also missing tonight's game because Robbie and I are heading to the Olympic Swim Trials here in Omaha.  I wish I could say I was a bit sad I'm missing out on softball, but Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte won't wait around.  Sorry, Foamers!

But I did want to leave you with the treat I made for the last softball game I went to and let me tell you.  I'm proud.   A little addition to this classic, nostalgic goodie is what takes it over the edge.  And fortunate for you, I'm sharing ☺

I actually got this recipe from my softball BFF's mom, who used to make these Scotcharoo Bars every once in a while for weekend games.  And until I got the recipe, I never could quite put my finger on what made these things so dang addicting.


You may have heard these bars called many things: Special K Bars, Rice Krispy Treats, etc.  But in the end, they're all one in the same.  Except for this recipe.  And being involed in sports my entire life, you can bet I've had my fair share of different versions of Rice Krispy Treats.  And this one is easily, most definitely, my absolute favorite.  And in the spirit of getting you to make these simple bars, I won't fill you in on the secret ingredient.  Looks like you'll have to make them for yourself, my dears!  .



Ingredients:
1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. sugar
1 c. creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 c. rice crispy cereal
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
2 c. butterscotch chips

Directions:
  1. Spray 13x9-inch pan with non stick cooking spray; set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan, heat together light corn syrup and sugar until boiling.  Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla extract.
  3. Stir in rice crispy cereal and then gently pat into prepared pan (the harder you press, the thinner your bars will be).  
  4. In a microwave safe bowl, melt together chocolate and butterscotch chips and stir until smooth.  Evenly spread mixture over the top of the rice crispy bars.  Let cool until topping is set.  
Yield: 2 dozen bars


post signature

14 comments:

  1. I can't believe that I have never made scotcharoos! They look fabulous. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you've NEVER had them?! Well these are outrageously simple [no oven required] and I bet you'd love them!!

      Delete
  2. Super love these. Butterscotch, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The butterscotch really makes the difference!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh yes it is! Especially with peanut butter and chocolate!

      Delete
  4. These look super delicious, and I'd loooooooooove to try,
    Unfortunately we don't have here butterscotch chips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well keep this recipe bookmarked, I promise it won't disappoint :)

      Delete
  5. These look like winners. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo - yummy

    I found you via the Tuesday Talent Show from Chef in Training
    I have linked up a simple little cheese and cracker plate
    Have a super week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything butterscotch! Amazingly I've never made these, but I think I've been inspired here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a love for all things butterscotch! Looks awesome to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey i'm from omaha too! i just moved to phoenix though a couple months ago. just in time to miss all of the fun summer stuff haha
    i love your blog though! i can't stop pinning recipes to try :) so many delicious looking treats!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the helpful information you provide
    in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and
    check again here regularly. I am quite sure I'll learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!

    my web site; late Deals to spain

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: