9.09.2011

Caramel Swirl Hunks

. I'm beginning to love Wednesdays.  And would you like to know why?  Because Wednesdays give me chances to make things like this...


Yes, Caramel Swirl Hunks.  And they are everything you would want in a bar and more.  HUGE, chewy, chocolatey, and full of globs of dulce de leche [a.k.a. awesome caramel].

You may recall I mentioned that our department formed a slowpitch softball team, and we play every Wednesday night.  So not only do I get to run around my old home away from home [the softball field], but I have a legitimate excuse to make some treats every week.  Score!  And if I'm going to discover things like these babies, Wednesdays will undoubtedly become my new favorite day.  Friday, what?

I'll warn you now, these are not for the calorie conscious.  BUT, I will say that you will in no way regret taking a ginormous bite out of these bars.  And who really thinks about calories while you're enjoying a wondrous dessert?  My hands are down.


They are definitely one of my top three favorite bars I've ever made.  Seriously.  A soft, yet chewy blondie-like bar, chocolate chunks, and swirls and swirls of rich caramel.  Gah!  Not to mention, the caramel swirls on top are so pretty!

On another note, I'm running in the Omaha Midnight Run tonight [just a 5K though] at, you guessed it, approximately 11:59 P.M.  I know, I realize this is way past my bedtime but I guess I can suck it up.  It's for charity.  And several of my co-workers will be there as well, so they'll keep me awake.  I'm challenging myself to do well [haven't decided on a time yet though...] but we'll see how it goes.  Wish us luck!! .


Ingredients:
2 c. unsalted butter, melted
3 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 c. sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. old fashioned oats
4 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 (14 oz.) can dulce de leche

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350F.  Generously spray a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

2.  In a large bowl, cream together the melted butter, light brown sugar, and sugar


3.  Add eggs, vanilla extract, and oats, and blend well.  Fold in flourbaking powderbaking soda, and salt.


4.  Gently fold in chocolate chips.


5.  Spread batter into prepared pan.  Top batter with spoonfuls of dulce de leche and using the end of a utensil, swirl the dulce de leche into the batter.




6.  Bake 38 minutes or until slightly brown around the edges but center is still wobbly.  Reduce oven temperature to 325F.  Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until center is set.


Yield: 2 dozen [large] bars


13 comments:

  1. If I am going to indulge, might as well be with a big whopping serving of this bar. Caramel, chocolate-very hard to pass up. Simply delicious. Good luck on the midnight run and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These do look delicious! I'm a huge fan of caramel. I'll definitely have to add these to my to-do list. I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good.

    Thanks for sharing with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum! i love dulce de leche!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, wow! those are quite a bar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tina My thoughts exactly, you have to make the splurge worthwhile! :)

    @KB So welcome, thanks for stopping by!

    @Rachel Isn't it irresistable?! It took all of my might to not eat the dulce de leche straight out of the can ;)

    @SnoWhite They are REALLY thick bars, I almost don't think the pictures do them justice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. look so yummy and interesting to bake..just wanna ask - where can i buy dulce de leche? i'll love to try the recipe of Caramel Swirl Hunks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blondes. Add caramel to that and I'm hooked. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anonymous You can buy dulce de leche at grocery stores, it's usually in the International/Spanish aisle though. If you're feeling adventurous, you can make homemade dulce de leche as well, but it takes a few hours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious AND pretty? Who could go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jess, these look heavenly! I'd love it if you would link these up to my party that started today.
    www.projectqueen.org

    Your blog is lovely and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome recipe! it looks gross but actually it tastes awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wowwww..amazing, i like those picture when cream is still soft and ready to bake, it makes me to taste it before it's ready, an wonderful, creamy, crunchy and delightful hunks ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: