9.24.2011

King Congo Bars



. I have good news to report...

THE FOAMERS ARE 4-0!

Oh yes, mark us as undefeated

Okay, wait a minute, Jess.  Take it back a step.  Who in the world are the Foamers?!


Oh yeah...let me explain.  You know that softball team I talk about every week?  The team that gives me a legitimate excuse to make an extra batch of treats every week?!  Well, we're the Foamers.  Now let me explain to you exactly what a Foamer is. 

So, I work for the railroad, right?  Yes.  Union Pacific Railroad to be exact.  No, I don't work on the tracks or out on the trains, we'll leave that to people who actually have muscles.  Anywho, one of our managers [who is a self proclaimed Foamer] introduced me to this term a while back while traveling for one our audits.  She explained that a Foamer is someone who [not literally] 'foams at the mouth' when they hear or see trains go by and can rattle off information about that particular train.  Crazy, right?  Oh, those railroaders.

But that's how we got our name for the softball team.  A little weird sounding, I will admit.  At first it sounds like we're some rabid dogs, while in fact we're just a bunch of train-loving youngsters.  Good story?  Probably not.  But it's my story and I'm stickin' to it.


Now back to our game.  I'm going to say that all of our success was probably due to these little [BIG] bars right here.  King Congo Bars.  They just sound masculine, huh?  And they are, and I think they are the reason we won our game on Wednesday in the LAST inning.  Why?  Because I basically threatened 'no win, no treats.'  Juuust joking, I didn't.  But we did win in the last inning and got to celebrate with Capri Suns [no joke, someone brought those!] and these delicious hunks of goodness.

I can't really think of any other way to describe the consistency of these bars except to compare them to Pecan Pie.  You know, that sticky, gooey filling?  That's kind of what they're like.  Chock-full of semisweet and white chocolate chips, pecans, dates, and coconut.  Then, finished with a crunchy, thin layer of chocolate.  YUM!  You can imagine the sweet, chewy greatness in your mouth.  Or you can just whip up a super simple batch of these yourself.  Your choice .



Ingredients:
3/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
2-1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3/4 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 c. sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. pitted, diced dates

Topping:
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350°F.  Generously spray 13x9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2.  In mixer bowl, blend butter and brown sugar.


3.  Add eggs and vanilla extract and blend well.


4.  Fold in flour, baking powder, salt, chocolate chips, coconut, white chocolate chips, pecans, and dates


5.  Spoon in prepared pan and using wet fingertips, spread batter evenly among pan.  


6.  Place pan in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325°F.  Bake for 35 minutes or until bars are set but still seem soft.  Take pan out of oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips and let sit for 1 to 2 minutes.  Using a spatula, smear chocolate chips around to make a glaze.


7.  Cool for 20 minutes and freeze for 1 to 2 hours before cutting and serving.

Yield: 2 dozen bars

15 comments:

  1. Oooh, King Congo Bars sound so delicious! I love how much yummy stuff is hiding inside them. Oh, and your softball team sounds so fun! I love the railroad inside joke for a name. Go Foamers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like the perfect bars to celebrate with! Delicious! Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dates in baked goods. These look delish. Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Koci I agree, little suprises in every bite!

    @Jay They definitely are, you won't be able to eat just one!

    @Cindy Let me know if you try these out, I love to hear about other people's experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing!!! I love anything with dates so I'll have to try them out next time we have some :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious!! I will add to my stack of must try recipes!

    Michael Ann
    http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW - Really! These look awesome... Thanks for linking to Success U @ TheStuffOfSuccess.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These bars looks delicious! I love how simple the chocolate glaze is. And congratulations on winning all your softball games.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum! These look so good! Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday Talent Show! I would love to have you stop by and link up again tomorrow with more great projects!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dates and coconut? Yes, please! Bookmarking...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh.My.Word! These look amazing! Thank you for sharing them at our Seasonal Inspiration party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great! Very yummy. Thanks for sharing with Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! These look sooo good! BFM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: